...but, of course, I'm not listening.
I started in on my New Look 6735 top today. It's been painfully slow going for a simple knit shirt. First off, I left my pattern pieces spread out on the dining room table, and the puppy got hold of the front and chewed it up (this was one I had previously done an FBA on). So I ran out to Jo-Ann for a replacement.
Then, after spending almost an hour tracing my pattern pieces, re-doing the FBA, and trimming all the seam allowances to 3/8" (because the last time I made this up, I forgot that only the neckline SA was 3/8", and I serged the neck trim piece to the neckline using a 5/8" seam allowance. WAY too low cut, even for me.) I finally laid out the pattern on my fabric. It's this lovely knit from Emma One Sock:
I made sure to keep the big round medallion-looking things off my boobs, but I realized I had only ordered 1.33 yards, and I needed 1 3/8 for the 3/4 sleeve version. (And, of course, the fabric is sold out now - right after I realized how nice a matching skirt would be...)
I have enough to cut one full sleeve, but I'm short a few inches on the other piece. It's a very busy print, so I think I can get away with piecing the sleeve, but I'm not sure how best to do that so it looks like a design element, and not a major screw-up on my part. (Any thoughts? Feel free to leave suggestions in the comments below.)
Also, I'm thinking of adding some ruffles to the neckline with the very tiny amount of leftover fabric I have, sort of like this Marc Jacobs top:
(Yes, the fabric has a very similar color scheme to the EOS knit print.) Anyway, I'm feeling a bit discouraged at the moment. In theory, this should have been a 90-minutes-from-start-to-finish project. I think I need to take a break (before I do something I'm going to regret) and pick it up again in the morning.
Susan Khaljie and Dior in Australia! - I've just spent an amazing weekend in Melbourne with a big group of like minded sewers seeing the House of Dior exhibition at the National Gallery of Vic...
2 hours ago